Saturday, March 21, 2009

Catch up

So, I have been a bad blogger. I haven't had time to keep up with posting about everything we've been doing.

Current activities: I am still working full time at the University and am taking 9 hours this semester for my graduate program, hoping to finish by the end of this summer or the fall. I am serving in Relief Society at church as 2nd counselor and attempting to keep Enrichment activities fun and interesting.

James is taking a full load at Del Mar College and recently got an internship with All State insurance company. He has been doing very well in his classes so far.

In between our busy schedules, we haven't had a whole lot of time for fun, but we have tried to get away for a few short trips and weekends alone, which has been nice.

In January we went on our cruise to the Carribean. We had stops in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Being on the ship was very relaxing and a lot of fun. We layed by the pool, read books, saw some shows, and ate a lot! Jamaica wasn't too exciting. We didn't plan any of the "excursions" which was a big mistake. There is not a whole lot to do when you are wandering around by yourself. And lots of the local people try to sell you weed, haha. But we did take a mini tour around from our bus driver and got to see a really great view from on top of this hill. Jamaica was very green and the scenery (for the most part) was pretty.

In Grand Cayman we went on a "Snuba Adventure," which is a cross between snorkeling and scuba diving. James had a blast but it took me a while to get the hang of it. We got to see a shipwreck, coral reef, and even a sea turtle. The water was so incredibly clear and you could see so far under water. It was breathtaking.


There are "Margaritaville" restaurants/bars in several places in the Carribean. We went to the one in Jamaica and it wasn't impressive. James really loves Jimmy Buffett so we decided to also check out the Margaritaville in Grand Cayman. We heard that Jimmy Buffett was playing that day, so we were really excited to possibly see him. But we had already booked our Snuba adventure at the same time, so we tried to rush back and catch him, but we were too late. Oh well, it was still fun!


We got to see some Mayan ruins in the Cozumel port. It took all day to do this activity, but it was worth it. We took a ferry ride to Playa del Carmen and then a bus ride to Tulum. The ruins were really neat, and have been rumored to have correlations with predicted locations with some Book of Mormon cities. We enjoyed exloring them a lot. On the way back, we got some Mexcian food and I even got to use some Spanish. Although I am not very good, it's amazing what you can remember when you're hungry.


The Mayan Temple.


The city of Tulum overlooked a beautiful beach. Too bad we didn't bring our swimsuits.


The fine dining experience was one of the neatest parts of the cruise. You got to order as much as you wanted, and different appetizers, entrees, and desserts were offered each night. It was fun to dress up for some of the nights and feel "elegant." I still felt pretty clumsy, though, I am probably one of those people who needs to take an etiquitte class.

In Febrary we celebrated Valentine's Day by going out to a nice dinner and our first hockey game! I had never been to a hockey game before and I thought it was awesome. James sent me a dozen red roses! Then later we checked into a hotel room and just forgot about "real life" for a night.


Also in February was one year at my job at TAMUCC. I feel like a grown up now.




On March 15, we celebrated our one year anniversary! I can't believe how fast the time has flown by. So much has happened and we have been having a great time experiencing life together and spending time with family. James surprised me again and sent a flower arrangement to work (boy, I am pretty spoiled!) and then he surprised me by taking me out to a nice restaurant in Corpus Christi, the Republic of Texas. It was excellent! Then we just enjoyed some quality time together at home. Happy Anniversary James! It was a wonderful 1st anniversary, and we look forward to many more to come! Another post will be coming about our most recent trip to visit where I went on my mission in West Virginia and Virginia.

No comments: