Wednesday, March 10, 2010

First month

The first month of being a new mom has been, well, hard! Everyone says that it is hard, but you can't really comprehend it until you experience it for yourself. I still can't believe that I'm really a mom. When I look at Grant, I can't help but think what a miracle that is that he is here. It wasn't too long ago that he was growing inside of me, crazy! When I realize how everything happened so perfectly for him to get here, I am amazed. We feel so blessed to have Grant in our life. He is our son and we love him so much. The special moments we share with him make the sleepless nights, crying/screaming, diaper leaks, stress, and lack of free time so worth it!

But I won't lie. The transition is overwhelming. I have struggled a lot, especially the first two weeks. Even now we are experiencing more transitions as I am returning to work. But James and I are a team, and ask the Lord daily for help, and that makes everything somehow work out. I am surprised at how I have adjusted to getting through with so little sleep. God really must be helping me. Before, I used to feel grumpy and tired if I got 6-7 hours of sleep. Now, sometimes I only get a stretch of 4 hours, with an hour or two intermittently, and although I am tired I am still able to get the things done that I need to.

I also have to say that without the support of my husband, family, and friends...I couldn't have made it even this far as a mom. People have been so helpful, and for that we are so grateful. From our parents helping to watch Grant, to give us a break and help with things around the house...to friends coming by to drop off meals, hold Grant so that I could get a little rest or things done around the house, and even just having friendly company...it is so helpful! We are truly grateful for everyone who has been there to support us.

Here are some interesting facts about Grant's first month:

Likes:
  • Pacifier! He has been wanting to suck on something 24/7 from day 1!

  • To be held constantly

  • To feel movement-bouncing, rocking, in the car

  • When it is noisy

  • Having his hands held

  • To move his arms and legs constantly

  • Looking at mom and dad




(First day home from the hospital)


(Grant wiggling on the couch)

Dislikes:
  • Being naked

  • Getting his diaper changed

  • Baths




(After first bath)

Milestones at one month old:
  • Has had his eyes wide open a lot-even from the first day of birth!

  • He is starting to enjoy his playmat, batting at the toys hanging above him

  • Likes to stretch out his legs

  • Weighed 7 lbs 3 oz at two week check up

  • Overcoming colicky spell

  • Lifts up his head for short periods of time (since day of birth!)

  • Makes grunting noises

  • Will only sleep if mom and dad are nearby

  • Starting to make non crying noises

  • Trying to copy mom's smile




(Grant likes to hold his head up and look around while laying on the Boppy)

Current Hobbies: Eating, sleeping, pooping, and farting (a lot), sticking his tongue out, wrinkling his forehead, and enticing anyone and everyone to hold him (especially the ladies)

Favorite game: Spitting out his pacifier, crying, waiting for mom & dad to put it back in, then repeat for hours

1 comment:

The Woodland's said...

Thank you for sharing Grant's first month with us! He's soo cute! And thanks for sharing how it's been for you too. For us who are looking forward to being moms sometime in the future (and who are a little nervous) it's good to hear what it's like. :)