Monday, July 5, 2010

We had the BEST WEEKEND EVER! And boy, we needed it!

It started Friday with dinner out with the in-laws. We went to Texas Roadhouse and it was delicious as usual. Saturday we had a great day with some of our friends. We had our neighbors over for a big breakfast, and then we all went to an event at a nearby (closed) naval base for an event called Sail South Texas.


It was Grant's first long day outside in the hot Texas sun. We put on his cute "sailing outfit," complete with a cute hat to protect his face.




There were "tall ships" from 4 different countries that you could tour, along with live music, food, etc. The best part was that it was free, except for $5 parking. We put Grant in the baby carrier. He loved it! He just kept looking around at everything and blinking a lot with the strong breeze off the water. He looked so cute I couldn't stand it!







Then we took the ferry from Ingleside over to Port Aransas and got a different view of the bay. We ate dinner at Whataburger (YUM) and drove down the island and then parked on the beach and went swimming. We felt so carefree just swimming in the water and jumping in the waves. It had been a while since I had gone swimming in the ocean and could actually enjoy it (pregnancy, etc.). It was a great stress reliever.

Then we got Grant to put his feet in the ocean to see how he would like it (pics to come later). I sat him down in the water and let the waves wash over his legs. He seemed to enjoy the feeling of the water, and it was the perfect temperature, too. That's what I love about swimming in the Gulf, the water is warmer! Once a wave came up really fast, unexpectedly, and it splashed sand and water all over Grant and it got on the side of his face. It freaked him out a little bit but I am pleasantly surprised at how well he seemed to like the water. Hopefully he will be the swimming type!

Then yesterday for the 4th we mainly just relaxed. It was a beautiful afternoon so we took a drive around town. Later that evening, we had some friends over and just chatted and played Canasta (I know, it sounds like an old person game, but it is REALLY fun! One of our favorite games, now).

I am super excited for next weekend, as well...we are going to go camping, visit College Station for my roomate's baby shower, and get to see my new niece (James' bro's wife had the baby two weeks ago).

I am SO THANKFUL for the freedoms we enjoy living in this country. I am grateful for the many blessings that God has given me in this life, especially my family. The sweetest joys in life are the simple moments you share together doing ordinary things. I love my family so much!



Grant's 4th of July outfit: What could be more American than baseball? ;)

3 comments:

Trina said...

I love Grant's baseball outfit!!! And thanks for inviting us on the adventures of this weekend! We had a great time!!!

The Woodland's said...

We need to come to Texas so we can try the famous What a Burger and swim in your warm ocean! What a perfect weekend! Glad it was so great!

James & Kristen said...

Thanks, guys! And YES, we would love for you to visit anytime!