Tuesday, March 1, 2011

101 Goals in 1001 Days

Start Date: March 1, 2011
End Date:  November 26, 2013 



The Mission:
Complete 101 preset goals in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days? 
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing certain tasks.



I saw the 101 in 1001 Challenge on a friend's blog and I decided to try it for myself, to see what kinds of things I wanted to accomplish and motivate myself to complete them.  Looking at my goals, I realize how much I have done in recent years that I never thought I could do.  Some of my goals seem simple and I am looking for more consistency and some of them seem lofty and will really make me stretch...but hopefully one by one I can complete them.


I will blog periodically about my progress to highlight key events or things I have learned.  :)
So...here is my list!  
Black=Goal
Strikethrough=Completed
Red=Update info
Blue=In progress
Highlight=New Update

Health 
1. Exercise 3 times per week for six months [Started running 3X per week in March]
2. Run a 5K  [I ran 3.2 miles in Beach to Bay on 5/21/11!  My total part in the relay marathon was about 4 miles and I walked the rest]
3. Lose 15 pounds [Completed 2/4/11...I had to start myself with one completed goal!]
4. Lose 15 more pounds [I DID IT!!!  Completed 5/9/11]
5. Go one month with no soda
6. Don't eat out for 1 month (excluding traveling)
7. Fit into all pre-pregnancy clothes [Several shirts and one pair of pants...getting there!]
8. Successfully transition into Lifetime Maintenance phase of the Atkins diet [Still trying to figure this out]


Personal Enrichment
9. Go one week without watching TV
10. Do my hair and makeup every day for one week  Completed 3/9/11
11. Get a manicure  [ALMOST got one one the WB trip-but too expensive!]
12. Write in my journal every day for 1 month
13. Write a song
14. Write a thank you note for every gift I receive
15. Bear my testimony in church 4 times per year [0/11]
16. Join a choir
17. Learn something musical
18. Write a book
19. Learn to eat a food I thought I didn’t like
20. Read a book for fun
21. Start painting again; Create one wall-worthy painting
22. Take a cake decorating class
23. Take a dance class
24. Take a self-defense class
25. Play softball for fun
26. Personal scripture study every day for 1 month [I've been going strong for 1 week]
27. Read the New Testament  [I am enjoying reading this during Sunday School this year, but I'm not truly reading through it again, yet]
28. Read the Book of Mormon
29. Read the D&C/POGP

Professional Development
30. Start another graduate degree or take specific graduate courses
31. Prepare for CPA exam
32. Open/own my own business
33. Lead a workshop or seminar
34. Start a local couponing blog
35. Start a resume writing service
36. Join a professional organization
37. Become a lactation consultant


Home & Provident Living
38. Own a home
39. Proactively budget family finances
40. Pay off our car
41. Be 100% debt-free
42. Remember to bring at least 1 reusable bag to the grocery store for shopping trips [I did this once.  I have plenty of bags now, I just have to remember to bring them!]
43. Get a new bedroom/dresser set  May possibly be getting one from my grandpa. Updated 4/27/11.
44. Change my own oil
45. Start a savings account
46. Build a year’s supply of emergency storage  [I updated our 72 hour kit in June.  I have a year's supply of toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, and lotion, salt and diced tomatoes, and quite a bit of beans and peaches.  But that's it so far!]
47. Invest in stocks
48. Grow and eat my own vegetables
49. Have a garage sale  [Thinking of doing this soon!  Anyone want to do it with me?]


Becoming a Domestic Diva
50. Cook a new recipe once a month [3/33]  Updated 7/1/11
51. Learn to sew a new project twice per year [1/5]  I sewed some pillow cases!
52. Finish Grant’s Birth scrapbook [I have just a few more pages to go!!!]
53. Finish Grant’s first year scrapbook
54. Come up with 20 ideas for date nights [1/20] 
55. Create custom scripture study journal
56. Make a quilt
57. Plan out and follow menus for one month
58. Completely redecorate a room
59. Learn to crochet
60. Blog about our family activities once at least month [5/33] Updated 7/1/11
61. Scan in all old photos [Scanned in "dating" photos 2003-2005, updated 3/3/11]
62. Compile all mission letters into a book
63. Organize filing cabinet with family paperwork
64. Go to a flea market and purchase at least one unique item for the house
65. Put all physical photos in albums
66. Set up an organized store system for my favorite recipes
67. Organize/Convert all music to mp3s
68. Organize Church/scripture study notes
69. Get all photos in one place

Service
70. Compliment a stranger once a week [2/143]  Updated 4/3/11
71. Invite 10 individuals to learn about the gospel [0/10]
72. Help build a Habitat for Humanity house  [I did this on 6/18/11.  It was really fun and I would love to do it again!]
73. Buy a person in need lunch
74. Buy something off an anonymous Amazon wish list for someone.
75. Donate clothes I no longer need  [Got rid of 2 trashbags full of clothes when we moved, Completed 4/15/11]
76. Teach someone a skill I know
77. Donate blood
78. 100% Visiting teaching [1/33]
79. Perform a conscious act of service towards my husband and child once a week [5/143]

Family Goals & Fun
80. Family prayer daily for 1 month  2 weeks and going strong, updated 7/1/11.
81. Go to the Temple twice or more per year [2/6]  I got to go in March and May with friends.  
82. Complete family history research on 10 individuals in my family tree and compile data and documents electronically [0/10]  7 Names with Birth/Death info; Updated 3/3/11
83. Organize a free/cheap date night  
84. Visit 3 cultural sites/local attractions per year [0/8] 
85. Do an ‘Explore Corpus’ date night
86. Take Grant to the Zoo
87. Take Grant to the Aquarium  [We took Grant in June.  He LOVED it!!!]
88. Read books to Grant at least 3X week [15/429] Updated 7/1/11
89. Visit NASA
90. Get a dog
91. Have another baby
92. Visit all great-grandparents' grave sites
93. Go to a state I’ve never been to before
94. Go on another cruise
95. Hold a real family home evening at least twice per month [3/286]  We're 3 weeks down and going strong!
96. Go fishing with James
97. Finish watching LOST series
98. Have a picnic at a park
99. Move to a different city
100. Go skiing or snowboarding
101. Go camping once a year as a family [0/3]

Has anyone ever done a challenge like this before?  How did it go?
H

5 comments:

Trina said...

That's a lot of goals! I am impressed! I found some of them surprising - I hadn't known you were interested in doing some of those, so it was cool to read! We would love to help you with your goals so we will definitely encourage you to visit Oregon as a state you have never been too before. Free room and breakfast too! We will even babysit Grant while you go on a date. You can't beat that! :)

Unknown said...

If you need help with family history, that's what I've spent the last few years doing professionally, so if you get stuck, email me and I'll see if I can help. I know the LDS church has some of the best resources in the world but I also have anthropological resources if you want/need to branch out.

And, in general, wow what a list!

James & Kristen said...

Thanks! I mean, I have 3 years to do all these things and that feels like a long time. I still probably won't get to many of them, but I like the idea of having a list and keeping track of where you are with them.

We would LOVE to go to Oregon, if only plane tickets weren't so darn expensive. It looks beautiful and tons of fun.

Vanessa...I will let you know if I need help! I really appreciate the offer! :)

Pamela said...

LOST is the best show EVER. EVER!!!!!! I've seen every episode AT LEAST 10 times. I'm not kidding. And I've watched all the special features on the dvds.

James & Kristen said...

Pam how did I know you would be excited about the LOST goal? LOL. We are on season 4 right now. Love netflix!