You all may remember a while back, I posted my 101 Goals in 1001 days. This is a list of things I want to accomplish, some big, some small. I decided to write a little update on how I've been doing! I have fully completed 3 goals and there are a lot "in progress." I will highlight a few things here, but the full updates & notes have been made on the original post.
Goals #1, 2, & 4 (These go hand in hand, and are all "in progress"):
1. Exercise 3 times per week for six months
2. Run a 5K
4. Lose 15 more pounds
I started running about 3 times per week in March, after I had an idea to run in the Beach to Bay relay Marathon. A group of great girls that I know from Church formed a team and we are running together every Saturday morning in preparation for the race.
I really, really struggled with this at first. I used to be an athlete, so I thought it would be relatively easy to get in shape if I really put my mind to it. Well, it wasn't like that. Pregnancy really changes your body (or at least, it did for me). Hormones and pressure on your joints mess with your ligaments and things just aren't the same. I had not exercised like this in almost 2 years. I wanted to give up, but then something amazing happened.
I figured out that an essential part of any kind of success in MY life, is prayer. It may sound silly to pray for help or success with fitness goals, but lately I have really felt the power from it. A few weeks ago, I could barely run for more than 5 minutes without stopping. I was so discouraged. So before my run last Tuesday, I prayed for help. I prayed that the Lord would help me accomplish my goals because I know that this is a good thing for me to do and my intentions are good. I prayed for the determination and strength to complete them. I prayed for the will to continue and to not give up.
I really felt that as I worked out that day. I felt an inner strength that I hadn't felt before. I wanted to keep going. Although it was hard, I kept running for 15 minutes without stopping. It felt amazing. I pushed through a barrier that I haven't been able to do since before I was pregnant. Thursday, same thing--I was able to go for 23 minutes.
Saturday, when I ran with my team, was even better. We have a route that increases each week and that day was 3 miles. I was determined to finish with running and walking. I was able to run for 35 minutes without stopping! I just couldn't believe it. I know that the Lord was helping me. I never would have thought that I could do this!
Why would the Lord help us with goals that don't seem all that important on the surface? Because we learn about ourselves and the strength of our character and a potential as a son or daughter of God. Because when our physical bodies are healthy, we can be more in tune with our spiritual side. I am seeing the parallels between reaching goals and my testimony has grown that the Lord WILL help us with our righteous desires. When we don't have the strength to continue on, somehow we find a way to keep going and the Lord helps sustain us. He is aware of our struggles. Just as physical endurance takes time to develop, and a LOT of work, so does spiritual endurance. I want to continue to develop the attributes of dedication and commitment in all parts of my life, and I feel like this experience is really contributing to that!
As of the beginning of April, I have lost 25 pounds! I only have 5 more left to meet Goal #4 and only 5 more after that to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight, which I am very excited about!
I don't have any overall pictures to show the difference, but I think these show a difference in my face:
Other completed goals:
10. Do my hair and makeup every day for one week
75. Donate clothes I no longer need
#10 seems easy, but I always seem to neglect this due to lack of time in the mornings. Well, I did it, and it felt great! It's not the most important thing in the world, but I felt more upbeat and productive when I felt like I was "put together."
#75 was a hard one for me. I tend to kind of be a pack rat, which can drive James nuts! I have a completely full closet, though the majority of the clothes don't actually FIT me. They are in about 4 categories: Skinny day clothes (high school/college), pre-pregnancy clothes (bigger, but still small), maternity clothes, and "bigger" clothes. I carefully sorted through every.single.item. in my closet and filled up two trash bags full of stuff. I probably could have done more, but that will come at another time. Many things had a lot of sentimental value and that I had owned for so long. Some high school clothes, even...had some great memories wearing some of them on fun trips or events. But, the reality is, most of them will NEVER fit again (unless I lose another 30-40 pounds ON TOP OF what I've already lost, but that's not going to happen), or they are too worn out to look good. So, I mourn the loss of my cute skinny clothes. I feel great giving up those things, and hopefully someone else can use the ones that are still in excellent condition. It is freeing to get rid of clutter. I am getting better at letting go of things. All I have to do is watch that show, "Hoarders," and then I get afraid I will become that person, and then I am motivated to get rid of stuff! haha.
So, that's it! More updates will come in the coming months!


3 comments:
Thats awesome Kristen! YOU GO GIRL! 25 lbs is a BIG accomplishment and you look hot! And the hair and make-up goal..so not stupid, I totally know what you mean. It really does make a big difference. Anyway, you are amazing!
Way to go! I am so jealous of the Beach to Bay relay. I so wanted to do that. Good luck with all your other goals. You motivate me to want to try something like that.
Thanks guys! :)
Andrea, I bet you could find something to run in Virginia, and the scenery would be BEAUTIFUL!
Post a Comment