When we showed up, they showed us how Segways worked and gave us a little tutorial. When I saw how fast they could go, I admit-I was freaked out! I thought for sure I would not go faster than 1mph. But then they let us get on the Segway and try it out, and very slowly showed us the mechanics of making them move.


It is very easy to move them and after a few practice runs it feels very natural and almost intuitive. The shop is right alone Shoreline so we just buzzed across the street to the seawall to start our tour. It was a little chilly but not too bad. What was interesting was how many people were STARING at us. I mean, just flat out STARING, like we were some kind of alien freaks. And so many people stopped to comment and wave, being so excited to see us buzzing around the streets on these things.
We followed to seawall and noted the solar system display. There are a series of posts and models of elements in our solar system that are placed along the seawall according to scale. So that was cool to notice as we went by. 
Towards downtown we learned about a few sculptures and developments nearby. There are 3 weather vanes close to the American Bank Center that are representative of the starts in Orion's belt. There are also special plated manholes throughout downtown that represent the other stars in the constellation that when viewed from above, look like it does in the night sky! We thought that was pretty cool.
Then we toured Heritage Park which was really neat. There are a series of historical homes that have been relocated to the area and restored. They are beautiful! We learned about historical aspects of each one.

After that, we got to have some FUN on the Segways. There were some concrete sidewalks and open areas near the art center and we went 'Segway skiing,' basically weaving in and out of pillar structures like downhill skiiers to on the slalom runs. VERY FUN! We kept trying to go faster and faster with the other people who were touring with us. We also went to the T-head areas and raced up and down zigzag handicapped ramps. And boy...it is fun when you get to go really fast down a straight stretch! They only go up to 12mph and won't let you go faster than that, so it is still not very scary. We went around the marina and zipped between different boat areas and pointed out cool stuff that we saw.

Anyway, after that, we ate downtown at a steakhouse called Katz 21. Even though we had reservations, we had to wait FOREVER! I had a gift card, though, so we didn't want to leave. Once we were seated, the food was delicious. We had a wonderful evening together and it was so nice to reconnect, although we did miss Grant while we were gone. Thanks to our wonderful babysitters who allowed us to get out for a few hours! We had a wonderful Valentine's weekend. :)
3 comments:
Sooo fun!!! I am jealous! That looks awesome! Whoever thought up that way to tour Corpus Christi is a genius!
How fun is that?! I didn't even know you could take Segway tours. I'll have to see if you can do that in Salt Lake. Glad you were able to enjoy Valentine's Day!
Thanks! Yes, you should definitely see if there are some in Salt Lake!
Post a Comment