Sunday, October 28, 2012

One Month Old!

Baby Thomas turned one month old last week.  I'm still surprised by how fast it's going.  It's kind of like the phrase that a lot of people said while I was serving as a missionary for my Church:  "the days are like weeks, and the weeks are like days."  The sentiment is that each individual day is long and grueling, but before you know it a week has passed and it feels like the blink of any eye, and you can't believe how much happened in such a short amount of time.  So at the same time, things seem to go on and on, yet it's slipping away quickly at the same time.  That's how I feel right now. :)

So as far as updates, not too much is different yet, but a few things that have been going on are these:
-Thomas sleeps consistently for about 5 hours per night, then wakes up frequently after that
-He nurses quite often during the day to make up for his long sleep at night
-He is going through a phase where he wants to be held more often.  He gets upset at being put down for too long.  It drives mommy a little crazy feeling so tethered to him, but wearing him a wrap helps.
-He is trying to lift his head up more and more; I can tell his neck muscles are getting stronger
-He still poops and farts ALL the time.  I don't know if I've ever seen a kid with so much going on in the digestive area.
-He is trying to look at us more.  I think his eyesight is getting better.  His eyes are still a grayish blue color.

Grant has been a challenge lately.  He is mostly ready to potty train, but refuses to sit on the potty.  He screams when I try to make him.  He has started immediately taking off his diaper any time he goes to the bathroom.  It was so funny (NOT) when he did it while I had visitors last week.  He has also been doing this during naptime, when he seems to conveniently save up his poops, then take off his diaper and get poop everywhere.  I am trying to work on a plan to get him more potty trained but it is a difficult because my hands are literally full with a newborn and nursing all the time.

However some cute things Grant has been doing make up for all of that.  He has grown quite complimentary.  He noticed when we changed Thomas' onesie the other day and said, "cool shirt!"  He saw James wearing a hat the other day and said, "Nice hat, daddy!"  He also says please ("pweeeaaase!") and thank you ("tank oo, mama!" regularly and also "welcome, mama!"  He will say "bless you" and "'scuse you" at the right times, too.  He's been doing that for quite a while, but I thought I'd mention it.  He will also prompt us if we forget to say one of these things in the appropriate social context, as well.  Funny kid.

James has been working a lot the past two weeks and will next week too.  Last week he worked 70 something hours.  This happens every few months when quarterly reports are due.  It is really not fun for us, but it's a necessary evil.  It will be nice when we get our daddy back.

As usual, here are a few pictures:


 Movie night last weekend.  Grant likes to hold Thomas, but only for a little while.  Then he's over it.

 It's finally cool enough to play outside.  Grant is liking the backyard more and more and is getting braver about going out there by himself since usually I am busy with Thomas inside.

 We went to a pumpkin patch last weekend.  Grant liked the little pumpkins the best.


 Grant and his cousin Eli.  This was the most fantastic picture we could get of them together. ;)

 First pic as a family of FOUR.  I can't believe it.

 Grant looking snazzy in some hand-me-downs for Church.

 Thomas' first Sunday at Church.  He did pretty good.  He slept most of the time which made it a lot easier.

 Grant holding Thomas.  Thomas not so excited about it.

Giving him kisses.

He is a good big brother.

 I got some Halloween cookies a few weeks ago and they had purple tinted sprinkes which turned Grant's teeth purple, haha.  They were in the shape of spider webs. and he kept asking me for "spider webs" every chance he got.  He still has not forgotten about the "spider webs," and still asks for them.

Thomas all bundled up.  He really likes to be swaddled and it helps him to stay calm.


And to conclude...here is a funny video we took of Grant last weekend, dancing to "Lean like a Cholo," haha.  It was soooo funny.

1 comment:

Trina said...

Cute photos!!! I especially love your family photo on the hay bale!!! What a cute big brother Grant is!!! And Thomas is adorable!!!