Since we missed our one-year checkup, they asked us about Grant's development and took his measurements. His measurements are still in about the same percentile. He is 30 inches long (50%) and 19 pounds (<10%). Although I do think the weight measurement was a little off due to him not eating as much the previous 24 hours while being sick and feverish. When we weighed him at home last week, he was 21 pounds. So either way, he is still a slim boy!
One thing that bothered me was some of the developmental questions. Grant still has not said his 'first word' yet, doesn't really point to things, wave, or hand you specific objects when you ask for them. The doctor acted surprised and I felt really embarrassed that he had not met his 'milestones' yet. Was something wrong with him? Were we bad parents for not teaching him enough? Are we doomed forever? Haha.
After I had some time to pout, James and I started talking and researching information online. We determined that a lot of babies don't talk at 12 months and it isn't really a red flag until they are 15-18 months. And although Grant doesn't communicate in those specific ways we were asked, he DOES communicate in other ways. He also does things that other babies don't do at his age. He is walking really well and has very strong physical development. Some articles say that some baby boys are more inclined and interested in physical development, and the language development comes later. Hopefully they are right!
So here is a list of ways that Grant communicates:
- He will walk over to an object he wants. If he cannot get it, he will reach with his hand and grunt (we read online that grunting actually is a way that babies communicate).
- If he wants to be picked up, he will walk or crawl over to you and put his hands high on your leg, or tug/pull on your pants or shirt.
- If you hold out your hand, he will give you 'five.' Yesterday I tested him and I verbally told him to 'give me five,' but I did not hold out my hand. He still tried to do it, so that tells me he does understands the language and it isn't just a visual prompt from an extended hand.
- He understands 'nurse,' and 'milk,' and gets happy and smiles when you say it
- He makes LOUD clicking noises (I have never heard a baby do that before, so James and I told ourselves that it is a special little quirk)
- When you roll a ball to him, he will push it back
- He will kind of yell if he wants food or attention
So, he hasn't talked yet...but he will. So James and I are going to spend more time playing with him and telling him what objects are, and asking him to give it to us or tell us what it is. We will also spend less time with the TV on so Grant won't get distracted by it.
All I know is it is an awful and scary feeling to realize that your child might not be developing normally. We feel confident that Grant is on track in his own way, but at first hearing this, it really hurt. I want to do what is best for him and be the best parent I can be. I don't want to let him down. Being a parent really is a huge responsibility. We WILL do better at helping him learn to talk! :)
p.s. Grant got his one year pictures taken! Click HERE to see them.
p.s. Grant got his one year pictures taken! Click HERE to see them.
2 comments:
Grant is a little cutie! Don't let the doctor worry you! Babies all develop differently. I was talking to my sister-in-law who's babies are always highly advanced and they learn to read and write and everything else super early and she was saying she just answers, "kind of" or "a little" to whatever the baby doesn't really do yet. He is probably just focusing on other skills right now. Some babies are silent or jibberish and then start talking in whole phrases. JJ didn't want to roll over and I wondered if she was behind, and then the next month she more than made up for it and some people thought she was ahead for her age. He is so smart, you can tell. He will be fine! You guys are great parents!
Thanks Trina! It's always been nice to hear your advice!
Post a Comment