Over the past few years of living here in Corpus Christi, I have written our representatives multiple times on various issues. Each time, I got responses back that indicated that the representative didn't care what I thought but he was going to do/vote what HE thought was best. I started writing (as it got closer to election time) that if he did not listen to what the PEOPLE wanted, that he would be voted out and pleaded with him to listen.
I voted on election day this year and I carefully considered who I would vote for. Of course I voted for the other candidate in our representative's election. I never thought it would mean much since he has been so highly favored in this district and been a rep for 20+ years. James and I watched the election results and much to our surprise we saw that the candidate we voted for was winning! Surely, we thought, in the end he will still lose. He was in the underdog party for this area. The next day we saw that he won and the incumbent LOST by 800 votes! It was extremely close.
On that day, I knew my vote mattered. I knew my voice mattered. I knew that our government worked as it should on that day because the people spoke and made a difference. Now, I only hope that this new representative WILL work to make a difference by continuing to listen to the people. I am proud to be an American. I am so incredibly grateful for what we have here. It is truly special and I hope that I can teach that to my children.
1 comment:
That's awesome! They should represent us. I think sometimes they get too into their career and too proud, thinking they are all knowing and powerful instead of remembering what their real job is. I like that you write to them. We should all do that more often to remind them what the people want.
Post a Comment